Are you leaving Facebook? Everyone has their reasons for leaving a social media platform. But what about the data you have on Facebook? Luckily, it can be downloaded. Facebook allows users to save a copy of their information.
The real question is, how to download Facebook data? Leave that on this detailed guide as we will tell you all the methods to perform this task. Let’s get into it!
Why Should You Download Facebook Data?
Before discussing how to download Facebook data, it is important to answer the why. What data does Facebook collect from a user? And why is it necessary to download it?
Firstly, it is not necessary to download your data. However, it does have some benefits. The downloaded data is not limited to your name, email address, date of birth, and other personal information. Instead, it contains everything from your likes, reactions, and comments to deleted and archived messages.
Accessing and downloading Facebook data will help you save it, even if you delete your account. You can keep it on a desired device. The social media platform collects data that is not even part of it. It has everything it tracks across other apps. Thus, downloading it would be a good idea.
How To Download Facebook Data on a PC
Now, let’s look at the process. Here’s how to download Facebook data on a PC or MAC:
- Open Facebook and click the downward arrow at the top right corner.
- Choose Settings & Privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Next, select Settings from the expanded menu.
- Under Settings, click Your Facebook Information from the left sidebar.
- Now, select View at the top right corner of the Download Your Information.
- Select Request Copy if it is not already. Input information like Media Quality, Data Range, and Format.
To download specific data parts, scroll down to see all the categories. Checkmark the ones you want to save. You can also click the Deselect All button and select the required options.
- When done, select Create File and wait for the confirmation message.
A dialogue box will pop up with the message, A copy of your information is being created. The process can take up to 10 – 15 minutes.
- Until then, use Facebook as usual. When you receive a notification, Your Facebook information file is ready to download; click on it to open it.
- After clicking the notification, you will be redirected to the Download Your Information You will see two options under Available Copies to delete or download. Click the Download button and enter your Facebook password to confirm.
- Lastly, go to your browser’s Downloads tab to open your Facebook data file.
How To Download Facebook on Mobile
How to download Facebook data on an iPhone or Android smartphone? No need to worry. Follow the steps below to get this job done!
- Open your Facebook app and head to the hamburger menu.
- Select Settings & Privacy > Settings from the expanded menus.
- Scroll down the settings until you see the option Download Your Information; tap it.
- Select and deselect the data parts you want to download under the Request Copy
- Set the Media Quality, Format, and Data Range for the downloadable copy.
- When ready, tap the Create File button and wait until the pending bar is completed.
- Facebook will send you a notification when the file is ready. Tap the notification to head to the link.
- Next, choose to download the file or save it to a cloud storage application, depending on your choice.
- At last, open the file from its downloaded location.
How To Access The Downloaded Facebook Data?
You now know how to Download Facebook data. But how to access it? You might not understand it at all if you do not know that.
The first thing to consider is your downloaded format. Generally, the most popular choice is HTML, as it is easy to access. Another thing to note is that your data might be in a zip file. Hence, you will have to extract it.
After extraction, you will see tons of folders, depending on your selected downloadable categories. Open a folder to view its contents. Facebook allows users to download your profile information, relevant data about your friends, businesses, ds, messages, and search history.
You will also find subfolders and files categorized by the inside content in some folders. Facebook also includes ads and recommendations in the downloaded data files. The easiest way to access them is through the folders’ names. For instance, a folder named comments contains all the information about your comment history on the social media platform. Similarly, you will find directories for pages, groups, locations, likes, reactions, friends, and more.
And that’s how you download Facebook data and access it. This data comes in real handy when deleting or deactivating your account. You will find many memories to preserve in this download file. The best part is that it is very simple to download on any device.
Q: How Long Does It Take To Download Facebook Data?
A: Commonly, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to create the zip downloadable Facebook data file. But sometimes, it can also take up to 30 minutes, depending on the selected data and your internet speed.
Q: Does Downloading Facebook Data Include Deleted Messages?
A: Yes, Downloaded data also contains your deleted messages. In fact, you will also find your chats with people who have since deactivated their accounts. Additionally, archived chats and messages are also stored in the downloaded data.
Q: How To Open Downloaded Facebook Data?
A: Go to your browser’s downloads section. If that’s not feasible, go to the downloaded file location. Generally, it is the Downloads folder in the system drive. Most browsers notify you of the downloaded file on the bottom horizontal bar. Double-click it to open your Facebook data file.
Q: Why Is My Facebook Data Download Pending?
A: Facebook data download goes on pending when your zip file is being generated. Wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes to let it complete. You will also get a notification on Facebook upon completion.