No products in the cart.
Some people mistakenly believe that deleting Facebook will also delete Messenger, but this is not the case. When a user deletes their Facebook account, it is permanently deleted and can only be reactivated if they choose to do so. But people can still send messages to your account through Messenger.
To avoid these annoying messages, you must deactivate Messenger separately, as it is a separate app. So let’s discover how to deactivate Facebook Messenger.
Ways to deactivate Facebook messenger:
How to deactivate Facebook Messenger on android and ios
Deactivating Facebook Messenger is a straightforward process, but before doing so, you must first delete your Facebook account. Messenger is linked to a Facebook account, so you must first delete Facebook and then deactivate Messenger. Here are the steps to deactivate Messenger:
- Open the Messenger app on your smartphone. The process for deactivating Messenger is the same for both Android and iPhone devices.
- Once the Messenger app is open, you will be taken to the chat screen. Tap on the profile photo located in the upper right-hand corner.
- Go to the menu option and scroll down. Select the “Legal and Policies” option.
- Then, tap the “Deactivate Messenger” button. This option will only be visible if you have already deleted your Facebook account. If you haven’t, you will need to delete Facebook first.
- Tap the “Deactivate” option, and the process will be complete in just a few seconds.
- Now, you know how to deactivate Facebook messenger. If you wish to reactivate Messenger in the future, you can log in to the app using your email address and password without having to reactivate your Facebook account.
How to deactivate Facebook Messenger on PC:
Users can also deactivate Messenger on their PC. Here is the process:
- Open the Messenger app on your PC
- Click on the three dots located in the upper right corner
- Go to “Settings”
- Scroll down and click on the “Account” option.
- You will see the “Deactivate Account” option; click on it
- Enter your password and click “OK.”
Method 2: Uninstall the Messenger app.
The user can also uninstall the messenger app if he does not want to use it. Here is the process to uninstall the app:
- Open the app store, then search for Messenger, and uninstall it.
- The user can also click on the messenger app icon and the install button to uninstall the app.
Users can still message other users through the Facebook DM service when uninstalling the Messenger app. Other messages will also be shown on Facebook.
Can I delete Messenger without deleting Facebook?
If the Messenger account is tied to a Facebook account, it is not possible, and the user must delete his account before deactivating Messenger.
The stand-alone version of the Messenger app is not linked to your Facebook account. So users can deactivate their Messenger accounts by following a few simple steps. Here is the process of how to deactivate a Facebook Messenger account:
- Open the Messenger app.
- Go to your profile picture in the upper right corner.
- Click account settings
- Click the “deactivate messenger account” button.
- The user will be prompted to enter a password; enter the password and click “submit.”
Why Should you Deactivate Facebook Messenger?
Many assume that messages sent through Messenger are private, but this needs to be more accurate. Messenger operates in the same manner as Facebook and stores data similarly. Even if a user deletes their Facebook account, they can still use Messenger. Here are some reasons why you might consider deactivating Messenger:
- There have been numerous reports of data leaks from Facebook, and the platform is not considered secure. Facebook generates revenue through advertisements and uses user data for this purpose.
- The Cambridge Analytica scandal also revealed that Facebook misused data from millions of users without their consent.
- Messenger is not secure because it does not encrypt audio calls and relies on default encryption techniques that can easily be compromised.
- Messenger is not an open-source app, and its security architecture needs to be fully documented, making it difficult for experts to assess its privacy and security features.
- Furthermore, Messenger has access to your camera and contacts, which can further raise privacy concerns.
The Best Facebook Messenger Alternatives
- WhatsApp is a great alternative to Messenger, and it is used by 1.5 billion people monthly. It provides the facility to text, send pictures, and make audio and video calls. The calls are end-to-end encrypted, providing high security. Users can use WhatsApp even on their desktops, allowing them to continue working on their PC without picking up their phones. It offers many features that are not offered by Messenger.
- Viber is another alternative to Messenger with comparable features. More than 300 million users use Viber for messaging and calling. Users only have to provide their phone number, which does not require an email or password. Its unique feature is secret chats, encrypted with advanced security protocols, providing extra security to the user.
- Signal If you are concerned with privacy, you can choose “signal.” It offers many features, such as massaging, group calls, sharing files, and disappearing messages. It is a secure app that uses robust encryption protocols. Also, it is an open-source and fully documented app so that experts can review the code for privacy.
- Wickr is also a great alternative to Messenger, as it automatically deletes your data. It does not require an email address or phone number for registration. It is a secure app but more user-friendly than other apps.
- Telegram. Telegram lacks many features, but it is also a great alternative to Messenger. It offers strong encryption, a user-friendly interface, and the ability to delete messages. It is not an open-source app, so experts cannot review its code. The user can enable encryption to increase security.
Messenger has numerous alternatives, but many users prefer to rely on it. We recommend VPN to such users because it will encrypt their data and allow them to use the app safely without jeopardizing their security.
How to deactivate Facebook Messenger without deactivating my Facebook account?
Unfortunately, there is no way to deactivate Messenger without deactivating your Facebook account. Deleting an account is not the same as deactivating an account. The user can access the account whenever he wants by just logging in.
Can I verify my account after deactivating it?
You can verify through another Messenger account. Open the account you have deactivated; if you see a message like “This account is not available now” and your profile picture is not available, your account is deactivated. It does not mean the user has blocked you; they just deactivated the account.
Can I temporarily deactivate my Messenger account?
Yes, deactivating an account will do so temporarily. The user must enter their email address and password to reactivate the account.
Now you know how to deactivate a Facebook messenger account. Deactivating your Messenger account is a simple process. If the user is concerned with security or does not want to use Messenger, they can deactivate it. This will temporarily deactivate the account, disabling it and hiding their profile and all their information. When you are ready to use Messenger again, log back in, and your account will be reactivated.