No products in the cart.
Instagram hashtags will help you reach the right audience and increase the chances of your posts getting seen by people who are genuinely interested in what you have to say.
Popular hashtags, like #instagood or #photooftheday, can help your post reach a wider audience, but they also tend to be very crowded and competitive. Niche hashtags, on the other hand, are less crowded and can help you reach a more targeted audience.
For example, if you’re posting a photo of a beautiful sunset, you might use hashtags like #sunset and #nature, but you could also use more specific hashtags like #beachsunset or #oceanview.
Just make sure to use relevant, specific hashtags and mix them up between popular, niche, broad and specific hashtags to reach the right audience.
Instagram’s algorithm also uses hashtags as a way to understand the context of a post and to surface it to users who might be interested in the topic.
Some of the most Famous Instagram Hashtags:
- #love – This hashtag is used to express love and affection for various things, such as a person, a place, or an activity.
- #instagood – This hashtag is used to highlight content that is considered to be of high quality or visually pleasing.
- #photooftheday – This hashtag is used to showcase a user’s daily photograph.
- #nature – This hashtag is used to showcase nature-related content, such as landscapes, animals, and plants.
- #beauty – This hashtag is used to showcase beauty-related content, such as makeup, skincare, and hair care.
- #travel – This hashtag is used to showcase travel-related content, such as vacation photos, travel tips, and destination recommendations.
- #fitness – This hashtag is used to showcase fitness-related content, such as workout routines, healthy recipes, and progress photos.
- #food – This hashtag is used to showcase food-related content, such as recipes, restaurant reviews, and food photography.
Note that these are just a few examples, and there are many other hashtags that are popular depending on the topic and niche.
Banned Instagram Hashtags:
Instagram has banned certain hashtags that are deemed to be inappropriate or offensive. These hashtags are typically related to illegal activities, violence, hate speech, and other forms of inappropriate content. Examples of banned hashtags include:
- #selfharm – This hashtag is related to self-harm and suicide, and is forbidden to prevent users from finding content that could be triggering or harmful.
- #proanorexia – This hashtag is related to anorexia and eating disorders, and is forbidden to prevent users from finding content that promotes harmful behavior.
- #suicide – This hashtag is related to suicide and self-harm, and is banned to prevent users from finding content that could be triggering or harmful.
- #porn – This hashtag is related to pornographic content, and is forbidden to prevent users from accessing inappropriate material.
- #hate – This hashtag is related to hate speech, and is banned to prevent users from accessing content that promotes hate and violence.
It’s worth noting that banned hashtags are constantly changing, and new hashtags may be banned and some unblocked, depending on Instagram’s policies and community guidelines.
Using banned hashtags can result in the removal of the post, an account warning, an account suspension, or even a permanent ban on the account. So it’s important to familiarize yourself with Instagram’s community guidelines and refrain from using banned hashtags.
Why Does Instagram Ban Some Hashtags?
Instagram bans certain hashtags to ensure that its platform is safe and appropriate for all users, particularly minors. The hashtags that are banned are typically related to illegal activities, violence, hate speech, and other forms of inappropriate content. These hashtags are banned to prevent users from accessing content that could be harmful, triggering, or offensive. Also, check the Instagram Slang.
Additionally, Instagram also monitors hashtags that are used to promote illegal activities or goods, such as drug use, weapons, or hate speech. Using these hashtags can result in the removal of the post, an account warning, an account suspension, or even a permanent ban on the account.
Another reason Instagram bans some hashtags is to prevent the promotion of misinformation, fake news, and conspiracy theories, which can be harmful to users and society.
In summary, Instagram bans certain hashtags to maintain a safe and appropriate environment for all users, to prevent the promotion of illegal activities or goods, and to prevent the spread of misinformation and manipulation of the platform.
Few Examples Of Banned Instagram Hashtags, Their Meanings, And Why Banned By Instagram:
Below are some examples of banned Instagram hashtags in alphabetical order:
The hashtag #abdl is short for “Adult Baby Diaper Lover,” and it is used by individuals who are interested in age play and wearing diapers. The hashtag has been banned by Instagram because it is considered to be related to sexual fetishism and is not considered appropriate for the platform.
Instagram has community guidelines that prohibit content that is sexual or sexually suggestive, and it is likely that the use of the #abdl hashtag was deemed to be in violation of those guidelines.
#addmysc is short for “add my Snapchat,” it’s a hashtag that people use to advertise their Snapchat account or to let others know that they are open to adding new friends on the app. This hashtag is banned by Instagram because it is used to promote other social media platforms and it is a violation of Instagram’s community guidelines which prohibit self-promotion. Additionally, it’s also a form of spam and can be used to scam people by providing fake links or information.
#babe is a common hashtag that is used as a term of endearment or affection, and it can also be used to refer to a romantic partner, or someone considered attractive or alluring. The hashtag is not banned by Instagram. However, it’s important to note that if the hashtag is used in conjunction with explicit or sexually suggestive content, it could be in violation of Instagram’s community guidelines, and the post may be removed or the account may be penalized. Additionally, it’s also important to consider the context and how the word is used, as it could be considered offensive or disrespectful if used in the wrong way.
#bbc is an abbreviation that could stand for multiple things such as British Broadcasting Corporation, Big Black Cock, Baby Boy Clothes, etc. Without more context, it is difficult to know which meaning is intended.
If the hashtag is used in a way that is related to the British Broadcasting Corporation, there should be no problem. However, If the hashtag is used in a way that is referencing Big Black Cock, it would be in violation of Instagram’s community guidelines which prohibit sexually explicit content, and the post may be removed or the account may be penalized.
It’s important to note that the use of hashtags can be ambiguous and it’s essential to consider the context and how they are used before posting.
The hashtag “#adulting” is commonly used on social media platforms, particularly Instagram, to describe the process of becoming a responsible adult and handling adult responsibilities such as paying bills, holding down a job, and making important decisions. However, Instagram has banned the use of this hashtag because it is often associated with potentially harmful or offensive content, such as posts promoting drug or alcohol abuse, or pictures depicting self-harm. Instagram’s community guidelines prohibit content that promotes or glorifies self-harm or drug abuse, and the platform has a strict policy against hashtags that are used to spread this kind of content.
The hashtag “#assworship” is a term used to describe a fetish or interest in the buttocks, often in a sexual context. However, Instagram has banned the use of this hashtag because it violates the platform’s community guidelines regarding sexual content. Instagram’s policies prohibit content that is sexually suggestive or explicit, and hashtags such as “#assworship” are often used to spread this kind of content. Additionally, it could be considered objectifying or degrading.
There are various other examples that can be mentioned here but the content of this is to make you understand the sensitivity of using Instagram hashtags. However, some hashtags like “#adulting” and “#assworship” have been banned by Instagram because they are associated with potentially harmful or offensive content that violates the platform’s community guidelines. It is important to use hashtags that are relevant to the content of your post and follow the guidelines set by the platform to avoid your posts from being flagged or removed.
Consequences of using banned Instagram hashtags:
The penalty for using banned hashtags on Instagram can vary depending on the severity of the violation and how many times a user has been found to be using these hashtags. Some common penalties include:
- Having your post removed: Instagram will remove any post that is found to be using a banned hashtag.
- Being temporarily or permanently blocked from using hashtags: Instagram may block a user from using hashtags altogether, either temporarily or permanently.
- Having your account flagged: Instagram may flag a user’s account if they are found to be repeatedly using banned hashtags. This can lead to the account being subject to further scrutiny and possible penalties.
- Getting a warning message: Instagram may send a warning message to a user who has used a banned hashtag, reminding them of the platform’s guidelines and asking them to refrain from using the hashtag in the future.
2023 Banned Instagram Hashtags:
It is important to note that Instagram’s community guidelines prohibit content that is harmful, offensive, or violative of the platform’s terms of service. It’s also important to understand that Instagram’s algorithm is constantly changing, so even if a hashtag was not banned in the past, it may be banned now. Additionally, some hashtags that seem innocent and harmless may be associated with offensive or harmful content, and therefore may be banned.
Moreover, hashtags that are used to spread misinformation or promote conspiracy theories may also be banned by Instagram. Also, check the How to Pin and Unpin Posts?
I would recommend avoiding hashtags that are closely associated with controversial or sensitive topics such as politics, religion, etc., or hashtags that are known to be used to spread harmful or offensive content. It’s also a good idea to avoid using hashtags that are overly broad or generic, such as “#love” or “#fun,” as these can often be used to spread spam and other unwanted content.
It’s always better to use hashtags that are relevant to the content of your post and that align with Instagram’s community guidelines.
Any hashtag belonging to or representing the below concepts is banned by Instagram:
- Nudity and sexually suggestive content
- Violence and graphic content
- Hate speech and discrimination
- Promotion of self-harm or drug use
- Spam and scams
How To Avoid Banned Hashtags On Instagram:
Here are some tips to help you avoid using banned hashtags on Instagram:
- Research hashtags before using them: Before using a hashtag, do a quick search to see if it has been associated with any offensive or harmful content. Avoid hashtags that are closely associated with controversial or sensitive topics or those that are known to be used to spread unwanted content.
- Use relevant, specific hashtags: Instead of using overly broad or generic hashtags, use hashtags that are specific to the content of your post.
- Avoid using hashtags that are associated with controversial or sensitive topics, and avoid using hashtags that have recently been banned by Instagram.
- Use hashtags in moderation: Avoid using too many hashtags in a single post, as this can make your post look spammy.
- Avoid Automation: Avoid using automation or third-party apps that promise to increase your visibility by using hashtags that are not relevant to your content or have been banned by Instagram.
In conclusion, using banned hashtags on Instagram can lead to penalties such as having your post removed, being temporarily or permanently blocked from using hashtags, having your account flagged, or getting a warning message.
To avoid using banned hashtags, it’s important to familiarize yourself with Instagram’s community guidelines and terms of service, research hashtags before using them, use relevant, specific hashtags, keep an eye on trending hashtags, use hashtags in moderation, and avoid automation.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your posts are in compliance with Instagram’s rules and increase the visibility of your content among users who are interested in that specific topic.
What are the consequences of using banned hashtags on Instagram?
If you use a banned hashtag on Instagram, your post may be removed, and you may receive a warning message from Instagram. Repeat offenses can lead to your account being flagged and subject to further penalties, such as being temporarily or permanently blocked from using hashtags.
How can I check about a particular hashtag being banned by Instagram?
You can check Instagram’s community guidelines and terms of service to see what kind of content is allowed on the platform. Additionally, you can do a quick search of the hashtag before using it to see if it has been associated with any offensive or harmful content.
Can I appeal a penalty for using a banned hashtag on Instagram?
Yes, you can appeal a penalty for using a banned hashtag on Instagram by contacting the support center of Instagram.
How can I sidestep using restricted hashtags on Instagram?
To avoid using banned hashtags on Instagram, familiarize yourself with Instagram’s community guidelines and terms of service, research hashtags before using them, use relevant, specific hashtags, keep an eye on trending hashtags, use hashtags in moderation, and avoid automation
Are banned hashtags different for every country?
Instagram’s community guidelines apply globally, so banned hashtags are the same for every country. However, certain hashtags may be banned in specific countries due to local laws and regulations.
Can my account be blocked for using banned hashtags?
Yes, if you repeatedly use banned hashtags on Instagram, your account can be flagged and subject to penalties such as being temporarily or permanently blocked from using hashtags.
Are there any tools that can help me check if a hashtag is banned?
There are some third-party tools and apps available that can help you check if a hashtag is banned on Instagram. However, it’s important to keep in mind that these tools are not always accurate and should be used with caution. It’s always best to check Instagram’s community guidelines and terms of service and do a quick search of the hashtag before using it to see if it has been associated with any offensive or harmful content.
Can I use banned hashtags for educational or research purposes?
Instagram’s community guidelines apply to all users and all content, regardless of the purpose of the post. Even if you are using a banned hashtag for educational or research purposes, your post may still be removed, and you may still be subject to penalties.